Saturday, November 12, 2005

garbage

Never have I abhorred a television show more than MTV's Laguna Beach.

I know this is my forum to talk comics, but I'm here in North Hollywood - housesitting for my sister, and I've been watching the tv for a few hours.

I watched Comedy Central for a few hours. First, I caught the end of "The Big Lebowski." Next, there was the forgettable film, "Slackers." Following that, I halfheartedly watched "Sorority Boys."

Before long, I was ten minutes into "She's All That," which, Rachael Leigh Cook notwithstanding, is one of the most shit-filled compilations of treacly nonsense ever committed to celluloid.

I took the dog for a walk, temporarily alleviating the headache brought on by Freddie Prinze Jr. and Usher. Oh yeah, and Matthew Lillard.

...

After walking the dog, I decided that I couldn't stand another second of "She's All That." That shit makes "the Notebook" look inspired.

So I change the channel.

What do I find?

Something worse. Worse than "She's All That." Something that I watched, off and on, for the next three hours.

LAGUNA fucking BEACH.

WTF?

Who are these little shits?
Do any of them have manners?
Why do they all have $50,000 dollar cars?
Why is MTV promoting their lifestyle as ideal?

I prefer a 50-Cent or Mariah Carey video to this shit anyday.

Granted, it is gripping. I'm biting my nails, on the edge of the couch
pondering the fate of LC and Jason's romance.

But - WTF?

None of these people seem likable. Everything is based on $$$.
It is a sickness.

But then, I shouldn't expect anything less from MTV.

This is a network that has so much power.
I'm not one to advocate censorship or argue that
pop-culture is the controlling force influencing our
behavior, but it does make me sad that HS kids are
watching this shit, and some of them are taking cues
from it for their own behavior.

Our lives don't have a soundtrack, nor are they edited
or filmed so as to show very narrow interpretations of
reality.

And hell - some of these kids probably aren't even assholes.
But we don't see them being happy or nice to each other. Only
the most dramatic fight sequences and shit-talking are presented
in bold, clear color.

Why am I so pissed off about this?
It is somewhat entertaining. Part of the disorientation
I have regarding this stems from the fact that I fear that this may
actually be
in some way representative of these people's lives.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. But I've substituted in high school classes, and
the kids seem to prefer Laguna Beach to the FOX show, "The OC."

What the hell!?!? The OC has far better writing than Laguna Beach.

...

Well, now that I've destroyed any credibility I may have had, I'll take a siesta and return with comic-booky goodness.


---

Here's a cool blog entry from someone regarding comics. Go. Read it.
Epileptic & other comics.

2 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger Chaya said...

Brian,

Turn off your tv - you don't have to be punished like this and you mat gave more fun.

The OC and Laguna Beach are both great examples of horrible tv shows and a waste of valuable time.

This is interesting thought:
"Our lives don't have a soundtrack, nor are they edited
or filmed so as to show very narrow interpretations of
reality."

That edit function could be so interesting. My life has had a soundtrack for a long time. There is a song for everything. Maybe if you keep your tv off more often you will hear your soundtrack songs. :D

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger brian said...

The "OC" has some clever moments. Certainly, its not Shakespearian, but I think the title of the show lends itself to derision. The characters have (or had) heart, the actors are interesting to watch (see: Peter Gallagher, Rachel Bilson, Adam Brody), and though its in grave danger of falling into formulaic-hell - there's still a good share of heartfelt sentiment that its
predecessors, Beverly Hills 90210/Dawson's Creek - never had.

The first season was good, crisp soap-opera.

Its not a classic - but as long as they drop comic-book references aplenty, I can't - quite - turn away.
...
Laguna Beach, however, is shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home